Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Responsive Classroom

       This week I have had the opportunity to participate in a professional development class on Responsive Classroom.  I have some familiarity with the model already having student taught in a school that followed it so I was excited to learn more about how to implement it. The week is almost completed and I am left with a lot of things I liked and some things that I am sort of confused about.  I'll mention a couple things below...

What I liked:
  • Teacher Language: A lot of the conversation we had surrounded on the language we use to remind,
    reinforce, and redirect students.  Specifically, trying to keep from the "pitfalls"such as redirecting in the form of a question or saying "please/thank you" for following a direction.  Our instructor suggested that we try to practice using this language while driving.  It's amazing how hard it can be to do that, especially during the high traffic periods...but I think it is a good time to practice because it is a high stress time and if that language can be used then, it can be done anywhere ;)
  • Rules: I really like the idea of having the students being part of the rule creating process.  I think with sixth grade they have the independence and capability to take an active role in developing the
    rules to create a strong learning community.  This model suggests to start first with the student's hopes and dreams.  Once the student's goals have been established, the rules can be used to help the students achieve their goals/hopes/dreams (and, in turn, this will give a great reason for why we have these rules!).  
What confused me:
  • Time-Out: I completely understand that there are times when we need to remove ourselves from the situation and calm down (or regain self-control). What I am concerned about is, with sixth graders, I know that not being singled out or called out is important to them.  I could see "Time-Out" being a negative/embarrassing experience for them when it should be used as a way to take a break and re-group before joining back with the rest of the learning community.  I am not sure how "time-out" looks in a sixth grade classroom or how you go about approaching it.

    Do you use time-out in your classroom or do you do something else?  Upper elementary teachers: How did you go about approaching it with your students? How did they respond to it? 

Tomorrow I get to see my classroom for the first time!! I am excited and nervous at the same time.  I am looking forward to seeing the room and get a feel for the place but I also presume it will be overwhelming how empty it will likely be.  Hope all my classroom organizing pins will come to use! Has anyone found a system or an organization idea that works very well?

Until next time! Hope everyone is enjoying the last moments of summer and getting ready for a new, fantastic year!

5 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower! :)
    As far as 'time-out' ... what I've found is that this age group some kids do need a separation from others who are distracting them, so giving them another table apart from the large group to re-focus is not a bad thing, and most of the kids who get 'sent' to the other table/desk actually do better work there and appreciate it!
    Good luck with the first year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin for your comment!! It really helps to hear how "time-out" can be done effectively with this age group :) Would you tell them more privately to go to the other table/desk or do they seem to respond fine when told to go there in a whole group situation as well?

      I hope you are enjoying what is left of the summer! :)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog! You have great ideas. I nominated you for a Liebster award!

    Julie The Pencil Monkey
    http://thepencilmonkey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I meant to tell you that " am trained in responsive classroom. The way we handle a time out when it is time to use it in the upper grades is that we call it either unload zone or quiet spot. The kid has to go sit there until they have calmed down. It should be a spot that is very boring in your classroom. Sometimes I have used the glitter jar (see pinterest) for kids that really need a finite time limit. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a great idea :) I am going to have to give that a shot.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...